Siberia: Lost in Translation?

Sarah Hurst sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET
Wed Mar 26 06:45:36 UTC 2008

The article about Siberia on Wikipedia is quite good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberia

I think people are probably more adamant now about the Far East not being
part of Siberia because Siberia and the Far East have been separated into
different federal districts. I don’t know, though, whether historically
people in the Far East have ever complained about being called Siberia like
the woman in Blagoveshchensk that you mention.

Sarah Hurst

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Josh Wilson
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:56 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Siberia: Lost in Translation?

Dear Seelangers,

I recently had the occasion to look up "Siberia" in Russian and English. It
seems that every English language dictionary defines Siberia as running from
the Urals to the Pacific. Russian dictionaries, however, have Siberia
running only "do gornyx khrbtov tikhookeanskogo vodorazdela." The difference
is fairly substantial.

In speaking with Russians, it seems that none of them would consider
Chukotka, Kamchatka, or Khabarovsk to be Siberia. One woman who I know in
Blagoveshensk actually went on at length about how tour companies in her
city bill it as being in Siberia - and about how they are wrong - very, very
wrong.

Does anyone know the historical explanation as to why "Siberia" in English
seems to be much bigger than "Sibir'" in Russian?

Josh Wilson

Asst. Director

The School of Russian and Asian Studies

Editor-in-Chief

Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies

www.sras.org

jwilson at sras.org

Checked by AVG.
10:26 AM