PC vs. euphemism

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Sun Mar 30 03:03:59 UTC 2008

If I may also note, to the probable horror of strict grammarians,
there has been a growing tendency to use the third person plural
pronoun when referring to a single individual of undetermined gender.
If a person wished to be succinct (avoid the awkward "his or her") and
yet indicate that the gender could go either way, "they" might
consider the 3rd person plural.  Another example of language and
attitudes sorting themselves out and evolving?  Perhaps, in time,
"they" will be acceptable and even recommended in college level essays
as a genderless 3rd person singular pronoun...?

Maybe.

Regards,

Emily Saunders