Epicene pronoun

Thomas Anessi tfa2001 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun Mar 30 06:35:03 UTC 2008

Alas, it is we (academics) who are not only holding up the change, but
who caused the problem centuries ago!  "They" was widely accepted as a
gender neutral pronoun as early as the 12th century. I read an
excellent master's thesis on the subject years back, but this web page
provides plenty of examples:
http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/austhlis.html

Jane Austen used "they" most often to refer to "anybody" and
"somebody". Only in the 18th century (as I recall from memory) did
grammar books decide that the question of disagreement between number
(they) and gender (he) should be decided in favor of the public (and
therefore discursive) "he" speaking for the domestic
"she".  As feminists pushed to reverse this choice in the 20th c.,
coined terms, wordy phrasings, and avoidance strategies were
privileged over the time-tested "they" by the academy.

In spite of grammarians' scoldings, the public has gravitated towards
"they" in everyday speech, while generally following the conventions
mentioned above or sticking with "he" in written discourse.

Perhaps the real political correctness is in the academy's
stubbornness about accepting the extent to which "they" has become
solidly entrenched in speech as an epicene pronoun. Since "you"
already performs an analogous role as plural and singular pronoun, why
would using "they" bring down the sky.

I do support a certain form of conservatism in terms how we uphold
linguist standards (like SWE), so I do not mean to imply that written
standards should chase after every shift in spoken language.  But in
this case, the change is many decades old and clearly irreversible.
They language users themselves have quite literally "spoken" on the
matter.

I use the example of the epicene pronoun issue in class to explain
what language change looks like as it occurs. When students then ask
me what to use in their texts, I say, "Use any one of the possible
choices at your own risk. The safest way to go is to keep using
plurals until the academics can finally figure out what to do."

Sorry to fill up so much space with a posting about English, but I
have been fascinated by the epicene pronoun issue for years, as many
of my friends and associates know.

Thomas Anessi
Columbia University
Ph.D. candidate