PC vs. euphemism

Michele A. Berdy maberdy at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 30 13:45:46 UTC 2008

Olga Meerson wrote: "I find the expression 'his or her' unusable in Russian.
Chitatel' ozhidal, chto... obviously includes female readers, while
chitatel'nitsa ozhidala chto... equally obviously EXcludes male readers.
This is the nature of Russian as a grammatically gendered language, period,
end of discussion. Chitatel' ili chitatel'nica ozhidali, chto..., in fact,
creates a differentiation between the two, that is somehow gender-based--as
if it would be understood by default that male and female readers always
expected DIFFERENT things. In gendered languages, an attempt to use this
formally inclusive language may, in fact, add a sexist tint, or at least a
note of a sentimentalist, deliberately Lawrence-Sternian or Karamzinian,
gesture to the comment or implicit address..."

A couple of years ago I wrote an article on bias-free and inclusive English
for translators (it can be found at
http://www.thinkaloud.ru/feature/berdy-bias.doc). Discussions with E>R
translators showed that it is virtually impossible to render some of this in
Russian, although since then I have found that some Russian branches of
international NGOs do apply the he/she distinction (particularly in calls
for job applications).