Cyrillic encodings

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Mon Mar 31 22:48:28 UTC 2008

Yes, and to the extend your computer savvy (or that of someone you know)
allows, please try to set your keyboard and email programs to use UTF-8
("8-bit Unicode"). This is the standard toward which everything is going,
and so you'd be doing yourself (and everyone else!) a favor by moving toward
it.

Best wishes to all,
David

David Powelstock
Asst. Prof. of Russian & East European Literatures
Chair, Program in Russian & East European Studies
Brandeis University
GRALL, MS 024
Waltham, MA  02454-9110
781.736.3347 (Office)

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Philip Robinson
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 11:18 AM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] a possibly minority position

While we're on this subject, I am probably not the first person to make this
request on SEELANGS, but it would be most helpful if those who post
something in Cyrillic would also  provide a Latin transliteration.  As much
as I prefer to read Russian and other languages in Cyrillic, about a third
of the Cyrillic text in SEELANGS postings does not render correctly, and I
use a variety of web-based and fat-client email readers with different
encoding schemes to try to parse them.

Regards,

Phil Robinson