stereotypes about Russian language

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Thu May 1 05:34:30 UTC 2008

I always like to point out the following bits that make Russian
potentially easier than some other more commonly studied languages:

1)  Gender is, for the most part, simple to determine.  Just look at
the ending of the noun.  Not so for German or the Romance languages
where gender must, to a great extent, be memorized.
2)  Russian has just one past tense and lacks all of those lovely past
perfects, perfects, past perfect progressives, etc.  And there are,
essentially, only 4 endings you have to learn FOR ALL VERBS in the
past tense - l, -la, -lo, li.  How simple is that?
3)  Spanish has the whole ser and estar problem to work out.  Russian
has no "to be" verb in the present tense.  Very simple!
4)  German has complex word order that needs to be precise.  Russian
-- quite flexible!

And I could go on, but you all know these points well enough or
better.  For all of the difficulties that case endings and verbs of
motion cause to native English speakers studying Russian, there are
many other aspects of the language that go down nice and easy.  I
figure that it sort of balances out.  I have heard that Chinese has
some of the "easiest grammar" to learn (no gender, no tenses), but
it's got a complex writing system as well as tonality to keep one
busy.  Net xuda bez dobra?

Not a scholarly opinion, but...

Emily Saunders

P.S.  I just held my first beginning Russian class here in Olympia, WA
through the local parks and recreation department.  It's a once a week
class for interested individuals.  Post-class conversation touched
upon this very topic and the general impression I got from my students
is that they did think of Russian as difficult, but they had
compelling personal reasons for giving it a go:  plans to go to DLI,
lover of Akhmatova's poetry, plans to go to Concordia Language camp
this summer, enjoys visiting Russia (possible girlfriend?), etc.  I
think the key to language learning is the motivation a student has for
studying a particular language.  If the motivation is strong enough,
it won't ultimately matter how "difficult" a language is or is
perceived to be.