Ukrainian stress

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue May 6 00:16:04 UTC 2008

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
... I have never doubted that bad poetry could be written. ;-) ...
---------------------------------------

I protest. W. S. Gilbert did not write bad poetry, he wrote good verse.
Ingenious, satirical, parodic and very memorable verse, and any verse
which is memorable must have something going for it. Most of the songs
in Gilbert and Sullivan comic operas are memorable, and the librettos
often superior, as verse, to the regrettable librettos in some serious
opera. As an example of their memorable quality let me disclose that
after the convivial reception at the AAASS meeting in Washington a year
or two back Hugh Olmsted and I sang with appropriate gestures an ad hoc
medley of G&S songs - from memory, of course, although his was better
than mine - in the vestibule of the Omni Shoreham Hotel to a very small
but mostly admiring audience. We were not thrown out.

I wonder if there is a Russian libretto for 'Iolanthe' (there is, I
believe, for 'The Mikado') - and if so how the false stresses were dealt
with.

The technicalities of matching words to music are, it seems to me, the
same whether the words are sublime poetry or the most contorted
translated libretto. There may indeed be a problem of matching poetry
and music - Gounod's Faust is thought regrettable by some - but the
problem which gave rise to this thread is not about music and poetry, an
aesthetic matter, so much as music and verse, and the relationship of
verse and the norms of a spoken language, a more technical matter. As
Charles Kingsley is supposed to have said to a woman asking his opinion
on her poems, ‘Madam, there is poetry and there is verse; and verse is
divided into two kinds - good verse and bad verse. What you have here
shown me is not poetry; it is verse. It is not good verse; it is bad
verse.’ And Kingsley was an expert - he wrote a lot of it.

Will Ryan