Ukrainian stress

Chew G G.Chew at RHUL.AC.UK
Tue May 6 20:54:08 UTC 2008

Interesting -- I had no idea.  I would have expected only items like The Geisha (certainly mentioned on that site) to have travelled, besides Viennese-style operettas.  And as for more recent things, I'm surprised that Ruddigore has made it here in Brno!

Geoff

 Geoffrey Chew
 Institute of Musicology, Masaryk University, Brno
 chewg at seznam.cz

 Department of Music, Royal Holloway, University of London
 g.chew at rhul.ac.uk

________________________________

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list on behalf of William Ryan

Chew G wrote:
> Possibly this discussion is already boring many list members (though not me!)
Boring? What - more than phonetics? Auden's Notes are very relevant for
those interested in poetry and language. But to redirect the thread back
to Russia - Geoff asks if there are foreign translations of Gilbert and
Sullivan. Yes, there were, and are, and not only 'The Mikado' - a quick
random internet search shows that it was performed in German in Berlin
in 1888 and Stuttgart in 1889, and remained popular thereafter. There is
a video of a Swiss television production made in 1984; a French
translation of the Mikado was broadcast in 1965. El Mikado was performed
in Palma de Mallorca in 1986.

For Russia see a fascinating and informative article by Jana
Polianovskaia, 'English Operetta and Musical Comedy in Russian
Translations and Adaptations' on a German website
<http://www.sullivan-forschung.de/russia.htm> lists at least nine
separate Russian translations (!) of the The Mikado, and also versions
of The Gondoliers and Yeomen of the Guard. Gilbert and Sullivan appear
to have had a significant influence in Russian operetta in the late
Imperial and early Soviet periods - Polianovskaia mentions over a
thousand performances at venues as varied as the Imperial Mikhailovskii
Theatre and the Harkov Theatre Berezil (a proletarian version in 1929,
in Ukrainian, according to another source - which brings us back to the
beginning of this thread). She also discusses, all too briefly, the ways
in which the texts were adapted for a Russian audience (for example the
jokey names in the Mikado, or the people 'who never would be missed').

And if it isn't impertinent to point it out, Ruddigore appears to have
had its premiere in Czech translation last year in - Brno (Komorní opera)!

Will Ryan