Query about Swans/Shells

Kristi Groberg Kristi.Groberg at NDSU.EDU
Wed May 28 13:08:28 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues:

I am working on an article on women from folklore and a few symbolic
shells in the ouevre of Mikhail Vrubel'.  The women are mostly
paintings of his wife, who sang the roles of Volkhova in
Rimsky-Korsakov's "Sadko" and Tsarevna Lebed in his "Tale of Tsar
Saltan," but also images of rusalki and naiads.  The shells are
drawings, watercolors, preliminary cartoons and watercolors for
majolica plates on the theme "Sadko," the plates themselves, some
other paintings that are experiments in capturing irridescence, and
one shell in particular appears in one of his Vrubel's late
Self-Portraits.  I can relate all of these images to Russkii stil and
the recovery of folkloric themes, symbols, and patterns in that
period.  However, aside from the very basics I am more familiar with
Decadent & Symbolist art than I am with symbols from folklore.

To get to my point, I would be most grateful for direction about
women who turn into swans, female water creatures with transformative
powers, underwater princesses,
and shells (seashells, not walnut shells) in Slavic folklore.  I've
gathered quite a bit of information over the years, but I know that
there are a lot of folklorists on this list.  Any information or
points of view will be helpful.  I will, of course, honor the sources
and acknowledge you in my published work.

Kris Groberg, Ph.D.
324D Division of Fine Arts
NDSU Downtown Campus
650 Northern Pacific Avenue