Query about Swans/Shells

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed May 28 15:12:38 UTC 2008

Off the top of my head, not much on swans I think, but they can have
human characteristrcs - see lebed' in Slavianskie drevnosti. On water
sprites see ch 5 (rusalki) of D. K. Zelenin, Izbrannye trudy, Indrik,
Moscow, 1995; M. Vlasova, Enysiklopediia russkikh sueverii: s.v.Vodiava,
vodianoi, rusalka. The folk tale of Vasilissa the Wise would be worth
following up - it has a literature. But I suspect you know all this.
Will