historical origins of drinking gesture

Emily Johnson emilydjohnson at OU.EDU
Fri Oct 10 13:55:47 UTC 2008

Margarita, there is a whole story  connected to that in Bashutsky's
1834 Panorama Sankt-Peterburga.  Supposedly the angel on the Peter
and Paul Cathedral broke, and, just as they were taking estimates to
build scaffolding so that they could access the top of the spire and
fix it, a common laborer announced that he could do it with minimal
equipment.  There are elaborate illustrations showing how he climbed
up the spire on a rope harness and rope ladder (blood spurting from
under his nails at the effort).  When he got done, the tsar rewarded
him by giving him a new set of clothes and a certificate that
entitled him to free beverages in the taverns of the capital.
Predictably, the certificate was promptly lost/stolen.  At which
point, the fellow went to beg the tsar for a replacement.  The tsar
reportedly had the sign authorizing the free beverages tattooed on
the man's neck--hence, supposedly, the origin of the gesture.  I
think there is something about this in Pyliaev as well.

I hope this helps.  Emily

Dr. Emily Johnson
Associate Professor
Dept. of Modern Languages, Literatures & Linguistics
University of Oklahoma
780 Van Vleet Oval, Room 206
Norman, OK 73019
phone: (405) 325-1486