MID-ATLANTIC SLAVIC CONFERENCE, April 4, 2009

Val Vinokur vinokurv at NEWSCHOOL.EDU
Sat Oct 11 16:27:26 UTC 2008

               MID-ATLANTIC SLAVIC CONFERENCE, April 4, 2009

Dear Colleagues:

     I am writing to invite you to submit a proposal for an individual
paper or for a complete panel for the 32nd Annual Meeting of the
Mid-Atlantic Slavic Conference, a regional conference of the AAASS
(ASEEES). Panels and papers are welcome on any appropriate scholarly
aspect
of Slavic and East European Studies. Proposals should include the
paper's
title, a very brief abstract, any request for technical support, the
surface and email address of the presenter as well as their
institutional
affiliation. Room assignments for the panels are based in part on
knowing
your needs for technical support when the Executive Board meets in
mid-January.

     The Conference will be held at The New School in New York City on
Saturday, April 4, 2009. Prof. Val Vinokur (vinokurv at newschool.edu) will
serve as President of the 2009 Conference.

     Please send your proposals no later than December 15, 2008 to me by
email at theis at kutztown.edu and/or by sending them on hard copy to
Dr. Mary
Theis, MASC Executive Secretary, Department of Modern Language Studies,
Kutztown University, PO Box 730, Kutztown, PA 19530.  My home address
(503
Friendship Drive, Fleetwood, PA 19522) should be used for mailing the
hard
copy after that date, but I need to have all proposals at least by
December
15th.  My home email is maryetheis at mac.com in case of emergencies.

     We would like to remind you and your graduate students that their
participation as well as yours is encouraged.  A juried award of $200 is
made annually for the best graduate paper judged according to these
elements in our rubric:  clarity of main research question and the
response
to it, importance to the profession of main research findings, amount of
support for their argument, use of primary sources as well as
adequate and
interesting content, readiness for publication, correct use of
English, and
readability/style.  Please remind your students that they should provide
the necessary visuals or materials to make a valid evaluation.  Of
course,
the paper must be presented at our MASC to be considered and will differ
somewhat from the written paper. The winning paper is then entered in
the
national AAASS competition, where the rewards are more significant.  A
second place prize of $175 is also awarded.

     Although we are very keen to have the participation of graduate
students in our regional conferences, they and other participants should
remember that if they absolutely must withdraw a paper from a panel once
they have agreed to present it and the panels have been formed, it is
their
professional responsibility to contact me well in advance of the
conference
so that I can alert the chair and discussant in a timely fashion and
revise
the final program accordingly.
     I look forward to hearing from you soon and seeing you at the
Conference.

Sincerely yours,

Mary E. Theis
Executive Secretary, MASC