Student needs a Reader for Master Thesis

John Schillinger jschill at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Oct 15 14:34:43 UTC 2008

Dear Seelangers---
	Living as we do near several Civil War battlegrounds in the
Shenandoah Valley, I came upon the current issue (Dec. 2008) of The
Civil War Times.  On the last page is what is described as a photo
of   "A Trio of Union Tars" with an accompanying explanation of their
clothing .  The Inscriptions on their caps, however,  show them more
likely to be Russian, than Union.  Anyone have an explanation?  What I
can make out оn one of the caps is OCS lettering that ends
in ..АРЖРЪ (where Ж is the vowel that resembles  Ж--sorry, I
don't have an OCS font) preceded by two indistinguishable letters--the
second letter could be a B, thus:   (?)BАРЖРЪ.  (A spelling of the
Aurora?)

	Just a mistaken attribution, or were there really some Russians
involved in the war between our states?  The source of the picture is
given as the Library of Congress.

John Schillinger
Emeritus Prof. of Russian
American University