Civil War Sailors

Vadim Besprozvany vbesproz at UMICH.EDU
Thu Oct 16 05:02:53 UTC 2008

Dear Professor Schillinger,

It is known as a fact that Russian Imperial Fleet arrived to the US
during the Civil War with "a visit of friendship" (and as a part of
diplomatic games played by the Russian Tsar).
I came across the names of Russian ships  harbored in New York:
imperial ensign Osliaba, corvettes Variag and Vitiaz, clipper Peresvet
and the flagship Alexander Nevsky. It's hard to identify the
inscription you mentioned without having the photo - and, of course,
it's not clear if the picture is good enough for such identification.
Some info about this visit you can find in American Heritage Magazine
avialable on-line:
http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1960/4/1960_4_38.shtml

Best wishes,

Vadim