Alexander Grin's story

Olga Bukhina obukhina at ACLS.ORG
Fri Oct 17 15:52:17 UTC 2008

Lily,

The story is Словоохотливый домовой, see: http://lib.ru/RUSSLIT/GRIN/domovoj.txt

Olga Bukhina
American Council of Learned Societies
E-mail: obukhina at acls.org

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Lily Alexander
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:17 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Alexander Grin's story

Dear Colleagues,

I am trying to find out the title of the short story by Alexander Grin I
read many years ago. Please let me know if you recall its title.

In sum, it is a story of the young couple that lived happily until one
fateful encounter in the forest. A sailor, still a young man, settled
down with his young wife after many years in the sea. One day his old
friend, another old salt with whom he had traveled on many ships, was
expected to visit him. On his way the guest met the young wife in the
woods accidentally, and after that he never appeared on his friend's
doorstep. The story implies that the guest and the young wife had been
"struck by the lightening" - fell instantly in love, kind of fateful
encounter, and so he chose to turn around and leave for good, in order
to never ruin his old friend's family life.

Something like this.

I hope somebody remembers this story.

Thank you.

Lily Alexander