Seeking students of G. Shevelov

E Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Sat Oct 25 14:46:04 UTC 2008

If you have information, please contact Dr. Znayenko directly at
znayenko at andromeda.rutgers.edu
Thank you!
Wayles Browne

Subject: Re: Shevelov
From:    "M T Znayenko" <znayenko at andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date:    Sat, October 25, 2008 8:50 am
To:      "E Wayles Browne" <ewb2 at cornell.edu>

Dear Colleagues:

I have been working on a brief article about George Y Shevelov as my
professor at Columbia and have recently circlated an appeal to his former
students asking for details about the work they have done under his
guidance. For this purpose, I only need your profession, the titles and
dates of your dissertation, and a comment or two on how you viewed him as
a teacher and scholar.

However, should I receive enough interesting and meaningful
material (and you were later willing to expand it) this could be published
as a separate study, listing all of his students, their dissertations, and
their comments about his teaching methods and impact he made on their
professional lives.

Most certainly, this material would also become part of his archive at
Columbia and at the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences in U. S.  With this in
mind,
please respond to my questions below:

Please indicate your professional status and indicate  if you or
someone you know

>>> 1) wrote a master's thesis or Ph. D. dissertation, either at Harvard or
>>>     Columbia, under George Y. Shevelov;
>>>
>>> 2) Shevelov served on your/their dissertation committee;
>>>
>>> 3) you were his student (give dates and courses) or wrote any seminar
>>>     papers under his guidance.
>>>
>>> 4) the date and title of such dissertations, theses, or papers and the
>>>     date of their publication, if any.
>>>
>>> 5) any comments you may wish to make about your experiences as his
>>>     students or later colleagues.
>>>
>>>      I am abroad with no access to old Columbia catalogs, or Dossick's
list, so I would appreciate your cooperation.