"Cat People" & folklore

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at ILLINOIS.EDU
Mon Oct 27 06:03:28 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues and Prof Nafpaktitis:

The script of "Cat People" ('42 version) was written by young scenarist
DeWitt Bodeen, working with the film's Russian-born producer "VAL
LEWTON" (Vladimir Markovich Leventon-Gofshneider, 1904-51).
Lewton in his earlier American (N.Y.) career had been the author of
"pulp" novels, at least one of which had a Russian Cossack setting.
And Lewton laid claim to having authored and published a few more
books whose existence seems difficult if not impossible to confirm.
In short, Mr Lewton seems to have been prone to occasional flights
of fantasy, even in his own CV.

And since Lewton suggested the basic plot to Bodeen, and edited the
resulting script, I tend to think that the former probably INVENTED OUT
OF THE WHOLE CLOTH the "Serbian folklore" reflected in the film.  The
female lead character needed to written as a foreigner from somewhere,
because the role was assigned to actress Simone Simon, a French actress
with a noticeable foreign "accent."  And, before "Cat People," there had
been several Hollywood "horror" films with fictional Central and East
European settings.  (Think "Dracula" in '31.)

Several books have been published about Val Lewton, and DeWitt Bodeen
published an article about his and Lewton's writing the '42 "Cat People."
Although Bodeen's article appeared originally in the NY monthly "Films
in Review" (1960s or early 70s), I think that same article was probably
later re-published in one of Bodeen's several books about Hollywood.

Good hunting,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.