"gender neutral pronouns"

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Sep 5 15:37:09 UTC 2008

Look around though and you may be surprised - just try googling "her
interests" or "her borders":

        Protecting family & country: America can best protect her own
    people and their freedoms by embracing the noninterventionist
    foreign policy our Founding Fathers envisioned [title of article,
    New American,  April 14, 2008]

        We are friends; and we want to continue to be the friends of the
    United States. We safeguard her interests, and all we ask is that
    the United States should not support Israeli expansionism and
    aggression. We do not call on the United States to throw Israel into
    the sea or even to break her special relations with the State of
    Israel. Let America give Israel whatever she wants, provided she
    remains content with her borders. This will never affect our
    relationship with the United States in any way. We, as her friends,
    care about her interests. [Time, 30 March 1978]

        Such a future, in which America - her laws, her culture, her
    borders and her economic base - has ceased to exist, is closer to
    reality than most Americans would dare to imagine.[New American,
    Sept 6, 2004]

        "I believe there ought to be a Palestinian state, the boundaries
    of which will be negotiated by the parties, so long as the
    Palestinian state recognizes the right of Israel to exist and will
    treat Israel with respect, and will be peaceful on her borders"
    [George W. Bush, Press Conference 11 Oct 2001].

I also found several published legal documents in which individual US
states are referred to as 'she'.

Just a quick trawl, but it seems 'her' with country names is very much
alive, in both American and British English, in literary, legal and
journalistic English and in colloquial blogs, without any 'affected,
quaint or poetic' associations (adjectives which neither his friends nor
his foes would normally apply to George W. Bush). The internet is a
wonderful playground for linguists.

Will Ryan