"gender neutral pronouns"

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Fri Sep 5 16:27:30 UTC 2008

Your many examples, I would posit, further confirm my two points:  1)
that several of the uses are emotionally and rhetorically charged
(references to Founding Fathers and "we...call on the United States")
and 2) the fact that George W. Bush is over 40.  If I may dare to put
forth an unproven hypothesis that a good number of the examples you've
given were written by people who were born before 1970.  It is also
possible that Robert Chandler's editors are closer to my generation
than to his own.  Precedent and grammatical rules will have an effect,
certainly, for those who are aware of them.  But I would argue that
habits of speech in a younger generation will ultimately, with time,
have an effect on written norms.  There seem to be enough postings on
this topic that refer to younger people having a different attitude
towards the debate.  I would say that both points of view have
validity within the differing norms of speech:  "its" sounds fine to
me and my husband (and even, dare I say, preferable), "her" sounds
better to others.  Determining the relative age or speech norms of the
target audience may be more relevant than anything.

Regards,

Emily