gender neutral pronouns

lino59 at AMERITECH.NET lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Sun Sep 7 01:09:05 UTC 2008

I'm 30-something, and while I agree that "its" is the neutral and "her" the
marked usage (I'm not sure if I'd call it quaint so much as indicating some
emotional overtone), this distinction seems to have been present for some
time - I recall noticing it, for example, even as a child - and predates
the use of gender neutral pronouns. I'm not sure what this implies, but it
may mean the inter-generational explanation is not entirely a complete one
and the two distinctive usages represent continuing...well, distinctive
usages.

 Best, Deborah