Problems of stress

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Tue Sep 9 18:44:15 UTC 2008

While I agree with the reduction, I would suggest that it may take a
different route: Vsevoldna or even VsevLdna, by L I marked a vocalic
l which is found in colloquial versions of mLdec (molodec), poLchka
(polochka) and others.

We do find secondary stresses in case of polu- pòlugólyj,
pòluzhivój, for ex. Without it all of those, polu- would be
pronounced as pAlu-. By contrast polukrug, polukrovka, poloumnyj have
only one stress and polu- is pronounced as palu- and polo- is
pronounced pala-. Unfortunately, Russian dictionaries still haven't
adopted the idea of marking secondary stresses. These secondary
stresses would be useful in compound words: those fully absorbed into
the Russian language might not have a secondary stress:
telefonogramma, thoses newer ones might still have it:
tèlefòtopanoráma. Fortunately, the quality of the vowel always
tells you if there is a secondary stress since we do not use O and E
in unstressed positions.

As for pozavchera, there are probably two styles of pronunciation of
that word, which a good dictionary should have reflected, but they
still don't. For emphasis one could expect pòzavherá:

—Eto bylo vchera? — Net, pozavchera.

  Pozavchera ko mne v gosti priexali rodstvenniki.

The pause after pozavchera is conducive to full style of
pronunciation, hence secondary stress.

On Sep 7, 2008, at 5:04 PM, xmas at UKR.NET wrote:

> Dear John,    as you say yourself,     > the tendency is to 'lose'
> some of the unstressed syllables, so that the above-mentioned
> patronymic comes out sounding something like Sevovna.     this form
> can be connected to the colloquial form of the name Vsevolod --
> Seva. I would say that the more possible variant would be closer to
> Vsevovna.     and a classical example of contraction in full forms
> of names would be Alexandr Alexandrovich -- San-Sanych.    my name
> would sound intead of Mar_i_ya Nikol_a_yevna -- M_a_rya
> Nikol_a_vna.          > It is, however, my impression that in
> recent times there has been an increasing tendency in Russian to
> > resort to the expedient of secondary stresses, especially in
> sequences involving prefixes or prepositions,    > leading to the
> appearance of such forms as:
>> pzavcher
>> chrez nedlju
>     these are not secondary  stresses. this way of speech is
> characteristic for Moscow and couple of other cities, like
> Voronezh.     this pronunciation is recognized all over post-Soviet
> space as 'Moscow'.     it has a couple of particular features one
> of them is the one you noticed -- reduction of the stressed
> syllable and prolongation of the preceding sylalble which a result
> sounds as it stressed but in the speech the general rhythm still
> follows the normative stresses of the words so the speech sounds
> kind of syncopated.
> With best regards,
> Maria

Alina Israeli