Slavic & Baltic Division reading Room at NYPL closes

Anthony Anemone tonyanemone at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 10 19:47:38 UTC 2008

I just found out over the weekend that the Slavonic & Baltic Division
Reading room at the NYPL was closed on Sept 2, apparently permanently.
Although the library has stated that books from the collection will continue
to be made available to readers in the Main Reading Room, questions about
the future of the collection and  the staff remain unanswered.

Has this already been announced on SEELANGS or on other lists?   (I was in
Russia most of the summer, not checking my email)  Any response from the
profession yet?   Following the recent attempt to close the
European Reading Room at the Library of Congress, this is a terrible blow to
our profession and a very unpleasant trend.

Tony

--
Anthony Anemone
Chair & Associate Provost of Foreign Languages