NYPL

Anthony Anemone tonyanemone at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 11 13:22:33 UTC 2008

Hi Mary Anne,

Call me a cynic, but I find it very hard to believe that the real reason to
close the reading room was to make books more available to readers.  That's
obviously the line that the library is taking, but I can't help feeling that
this is just another sign of the post-cold war downgrading of the Slavic
field.  Ironic that it's happening as the new cold war heats up (thanks to
the situation in Georgia).

And while I'm not concerned about getting access to books in the main
reading room, I am concerned about the future growth of the collection -
does this move signal reduced budget for buying books in Slavic field?  What
about the other activities of the Slavic bibliographers? research help for
readers, exhibitions, NEH summer seminars?  WIll they continue? No word from
the library about any of this (yet).

All the best,

Tony