Film on contemporary Russia

Kuchar, Martha kuchar at ROANOKE.EDU
Fri Sep 12 17:32:03 UTC 2008

Sylvia:

I can't suggest just one item, but here are a few of the videos and films I use in class:

*
	New York Times video on Nashi movement: http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=1a7c4150ea13e0996c864b8df4783e26ceb9ef0d,
*
	Frontline report on "Russian Sex and the City": http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/russia602/video_index.html
*
	Power Trip, a documentary film about electrification of Georgia, available for purchase
*
	Chernobyl videos (notably, its aftermath), here: http://www.youtube.com/ChernobylChildren
*
	Three Rooms of Melancholia (Chechnya)

Best, Martha

Dr. Martha Kuchar
Roanoke College
Salem, VA 24153

________________________________

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list on behalf of Meloche, Sylvia
Sent: Tue 9/9/2008 3:25 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Film on contemporary Russia

I am looking for a film to screen at a workshop on Russia for
high-school teachers. Can anyone suggest an available recent film on
transformation in Russia from Soviet to current times, including, but
not exclusively featuring, Vladimir Putin? It should be from a western
point of view, the object being to show how the west views Russia.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Sylvia Meloche

Center for Russian & East European Studies
Weiser Center for Europe & Eurasia

The International Institute
The University of Michigan
1080 S. University, Suite 3668