Pre-1917 travellers' guide books

Anna Reid AnnaReid01 at BTINTERNET.COM
Fri Apr 3 08:52:22 UTC 2009

The London Library in St James's Square - a private members' library, but
I'd be surprised if they don't make provision for outside researchers - has
a superb collection of nineteenth-century Baedekers and Murrays guides. Tel.
44 207 930 7705 and you can browse the catalogue online - Anna Reid.

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Sent: 02 April 2009 06:44
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Pre-1917 travellers' guide books

Are there research libraries outside the former USSR that would have
collections of
city guides from Russia and Eastern Europe pre-1917?  I know that,
e.g., Baedeker was
already publishing such guide books before 1900, and for the major
cities they were available
in several languages.  I assume that Library of Congress and Widener
Library would have something,
but perhaps someplace unexpected (to me!) happens to have a major
collection.
My interest is not limited to language or USA.
Jules Levin
Los Angeles