career in translation

evprok at WM.EDU evprok at WM.EDU
Fri Apr 3 18:45:20 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues,

I need advice on how a student can transition from a Russian major to a career in translation. A (undergraduate) student of mine who is a Russian major wants to become a professional translator (probably legal/business translation rather than fiction).  He had four years of Russian plus a semester in Moscow.

1) Would it be best for him to apply for a Master's program in translation?
2) Are there undergraduate programs that offer a "translation major"?
3) Or is it better to go to Russia and try to get a job translating for a business or a publisher?

My questions sound naive but I have never advised students on a career in translation.  Most our graduates go to work for the government :))

I would appreciate any advice and info.  Please answer offlist: evprok at wm.edu

Elena Prokhorova, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Russian
Modern Languages Department