career in translation

David L. Cooper dlcoop at ILLINOIS.EDU
Mon Apr 6 14:36:54 UTC 2009

The University of Illinois offers a certificate in translation studies
through its Center for Translation Studies. The program arranges
internships with businesses, non-profits, or publishers, including the
Dalkey Archive Press. Your student could earn the certificate in
conjunction with an MA in Slavic Languages, Literatures, and Cultures;
or an MA in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies. Your student
would have the advantage of all the resources of a vibrant Slavic
department, a strong Title VI National Resource Center, and one of the
top Slavic libraries in the country. An MA program in Translation
Studies is in development.

Center for Translation Studies:
http://services.lang.uiuc.edu/Translation/CenterForTranslationStudies.htm

Dalkey Archive Press:
http://www.dalkeyarchive.com/

Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
http://www.slavic.uiuc.edu/

Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center
http://www.reec.illinois.edu/

David Cooper

evprok at WM.EDU wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I need advice on how a student can transition from a Russian major to a career in translation. A (undergraduate) student of mine who is a Russian major wants to become a professional translator (probably legal/business translation rather than fiction).  He had four years of Russian plus a semester in Moscow.
>
> 1) Would it be best for him to apply for a Master's program in translation?
> 2) Are there undergraduate programs that offer a "translation major"?
> 3) Or is it better to go to Russia and try to get a job translating for a business or a publisher?
>
> My questions sound naive but I have never advised students on a career in translation.  Most our graduates go to work for the government :))
>
> I would appreciate any advice and info.  Please answer offlist: evprok at wm.edu
>

> Elena Prokhorova, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor of Russian
> Modern Languages Department