Карава й / Коровай

Hugh Olmsted hugh_olmsted at COMCAST.NET
Tue Apr 7 21:32:10 UTC 2009

Natalia and colleagues,

A few words about the etymology.

The word and its direct relatives are encountered in East Slavic and
South Slavic territories in forms descending from Common Slavic
*korvaj- (i.e. East Slavic *korovaj-, South Slavic *kravaj-), in the
central meaning 'large, round ritual bread prepared for holidays and
especially for weddings'.  Trubachev (Etim. slovar' sl. iazykov
11:112-116) takes it as derived from the Slavic 'cow' word *korva (>
ESl korova, SoSl krava) – with *korvaj- specifically ritually
connected with the groom as fertile bull; cf. the folk connection of
the bride and groom as bovine coupling pair, and the frequent folk
connection of bride with korova (and there is, of course, the modern
use of  'тёлка').  Cf. Potebnia "korovai est' byk-
zhenikh" (quoted in Preobrazhenskii (see below).

The word is still met in Ukrainian and in Russian okaiushchie
dialects in the form коровай (korovai).  Каравай
(karavai) seems to be a post-akanie modern reinterpretation.  It is
testified in Russian documents especially from the 16th century (cf.
Slovar' rus. iaz. XI-XVII vv., 7:333-34).  For further discussion cf.
also Fasmer (M., 1964-73, 2:332 (s.v. korovai), P.Ia. Chernykh,
Istoriko-etimol. slovar' sovrem. rus. iaz. (3. izd., stereot., M,
1999, v. 1:378, s.v. karavai), and A.G. Preobrazhenskii (repr. of
1910-14 ed., M., 1959, 2 v., v. 1:358, s.v. korovai)

Hope this is a help.

Hugh