A poem of Apollon N. Maikov

Slivkin, Yevgeniy A. slivkin at OU.EDU
Tue Apr 21 19:56:39 UTC 2009

Dear Richard,

Since you are researching "late Imperial Russian attitudes towards Germans", I thought you would be interested to know that years ago I came across a little known brochure by the historian and journalist M. P.
Pogodin (editor of “Moskovskii vestnik”and “Moskovitianin”) entitled
“Ostzeiskii vopros” (1869).  In this pamphlet, the author addresses
Professor Shirren, an “ostzeiskii nemets” who occupied the position of Dean
of the Department of History and Law at the University of Derpt (Tartu).
Below I quote a characteristic passage in my clumsy translation:
“For us, all Germans fall into three categories:  1) The German Germans, the
residents of Germany – we honor and respect them as a first class European
nation.  2)  The Russian Germans, those Germans who became russified, who
serve our state and live among us – we love them and are grateful to them
for the many services they have rendered to us.  3)  The ostzeiskie Germans,
those who are the most viciously antagonistic to us.  Their existence and
attitude to us well justify the proverb: “One could not make an enemy for
himself unless one gave him food and drink with his own hand.”  You, the
ostzeiskie Germans, hate us in your hearts.  And this hatred is the most
convincing proof of your own malady.”

Regards,

Yevgeny Slivkin, Ph.D.
Department of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
University of Oklahoma