Russian readers

Janey Haynes vjhaynes at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 22 14:52:16 UTC 2009

Hello, colleagues!
I am so happy to say I have 10 students signing up for third year high school Russian next year!  This is a first for me and for this school.  (This year was a first in that I had enough students for SEPARATE first and second year classes!).  10 of 15 eligible students (2 are seniors) is a fantastic average for advanced language!  Since this is a first, I am looking to purchase Russian readers.  I currently have three copies of Russian Readers I-V (that I used in college in the 70's), 1 Intermediate Russian Reader, and some children's books I picked up in a bookstore in Berlin, Germany.  Can you suggest something for students who will be reading more next year?  Their current reading level is still advanced novice, with two or three at novice intermediate.
Any help is appreciated.  Needless to say, they're not ready for Queen of Spades or Anna Karenina. :-)

Janey Haynes
McGavock High School
Nashville, TN