Russian attitudes toards Germans (Baltic & otherwise)

Richard Benert benovich at IMT.NET
Thu Apr 23 23:31:32 UTC 2009

Dear Prof. Slivkin,

This would certainly explain Pogodin's remark.  Thank you.  It was a
question of to whom or to what one was loyal, and loyalty to the tsar did
not cover up their perceived underlying distaste for Russia.  It's
interesting that Pogodin said this in 1869, and not before Nicholas I was
safely in his grave.  But wasn't Aksakov chastised for being critical of the
Ostsee Germans about this time?  Reading Nikitenko's Diary has given me a
new insight into the extent of anti-German sentiment c. 1870, at least in
the Academy of Sciences.

Somewhere I think I read that the 3rd Section was sometimes called "The
German Section."  Do you know if this is true?  Also, is Proskurin's
argument generally accepted?  I've glanced at Monas's book on the 3rd
Section and saw nothing about Germans at all.

With thanks for your help,

Richard Benert