FW: Theory of "Intercultural" Composition

Chew G G.Chew at RHUL.AC.UK
Fri Apr 24 06:17:00 UTC 2009

I hope list members will not mind my airing this question here. On the Society for Music Theory's list, one current thread deals with so-called intercultural composition, especially in the last 20 years or so, and the originator of the thread has the following to say about the Russian take on the subject.  Would anyone here care to comment, whether or not from a musical perspective?

Geoff

 Geoffrey Chew
 g.chew at rhul.ac.uk

________________________________

From: smt-talk-bounces at societymusictheory.org on behalf of matralab
Subject: Re: [Smt-talk] Theory of "Intercultural" Composition

Dear all who have answered on and offline - what an overwhelming and positive response.

And there were indeed some suggestions about books that I did not know existed.
As one respondent suggested, I will share my reading list either with the smttalklist,
or, if that is against the list netiquette, I would post them on my academia profile.
(http://concordia.academia.edu/SandeepBhagwati).

Thank you all again, and those who have sent me personal mails  - I will respond asap.

One nugget of information:
I am on tour in Russia right now, and in discussions about this suject (and composers like Faradzh Karaev or Franghis Ali-Zadeh etc.)  with musicologist Fjodor Sofronov from Tchaikovsky Conservatorium Moscow he explained to me that Soviet and Russian musicology have major problems dealing with any form of interculturalism in contemporary composition, because interest in new music is perceived as being equivalent with a liberal attitude that is pro-western - already a difficult position in an increasingly nationalist intellectual environment. To compound that with the, as he said, "official, but unfulfilled" multiculturalism of Russia, also a hot seat issue, would be too much to take on - and so Russian musicology, despite the fact that it got off to a good start with Asafiev's Intonation theory, did not look at this subject much over the past 80 years. Does any one have any corrections or comments to this statement ? Does anyone know of important Russian theories of multicultural composition...?

Best yours
Sandeep