Question about usage of names and social convention

Nola oothappam at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Apr 29 07:34:22 UTC 2009

Many thanks to all of you who replied about this. My book did not give any example of what they wanted the reader to understand.But I think I understand now, based on what you all have said. It does make sense.
Nola
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul B. Gallagher
  To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
  Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:15 PM
  Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Question about usage of names and social convention

  greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU wrote:

  > Sarah Hurst wrote:
  >
  > I think it's also considered rude in English to say "he" or "she"
  > instead of the person's name in the presence of the person, so I'm
  > guessing your book refers to the first example, where someone
  > addresses a second person by their name. It seems to me this is done
  > more commonly in Russian than in English, especially when a
  > patronymic is involved for further emphasis of politeness.
  >
  > Sarah
  >

  > I hear my American students routinely referring to their classmates
  > as "he" or "she" in the particular classmate's presence--and I
  > routinely explain to them that it is not considered polite in
  > Russian; in response, some of the students say, "yeah, it is not too
  > polite in English either,"--from all of which I gather that the rule
  > against saying "he" or "she" about a person who is present must be
  > much stronger in Russian than in English.  So I would say that this
  > rule is what the book was referring to.
  >
  > In addition, I have not noticed that Russians address their
  > interlocutor by name more often than Americans do.  In fact, I
  > remember someone--perhaps Jon Stewart--analyzing Sarah Palin's
  > interview style and showing how she kept saying "Charlie" to the
  > reporter, so it must be a question of individual differences in the
  > US.  What do other SEELANGers think?

  For my money, use of the name is more common and more of a big deal in
  Russian; here in America I wouldn't take offense if someone referred to
  me with a pronoun in my presence. Though of course if they went out of
  their way to make it a big deal, as when McCain called Obama "that one"
  in a debate, that would be a different story.

  I'm inclined to think Palin was just trying to make sure she remembered
  the interviewer's name by repeating it; I do the same thing when I meet
  a voter for the first time. After three or four repetitions, it seems to
  stick. And it has the added benefit -- if you don't overdo it -- that
  the recipient of this treatment believes you consider them important and
  respect them.

  Paul B. Gallagher
  pbg translations, inc.
  http://pbg-translations.com