Question about usage of names and social convention

Sarah Hurst sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET
Wed Apr 29 19:08:14 UTC 2009

Very true! I and other people I know who have encountered this all say they
find it rude rather than friendly. At my local Wells Fargo we are supposed
to give the cashier a marble in their jar as a reward every time they say
our names. I can't stand salespeople who don't know me using my name. Why
haven't they cottoned on yet that this is obnoxious?

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of George Kalbouss
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:59 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Question about usage of names and social convention

Regarding the Sarah Palin phenomenon and the usage of names...
There's a US-American mannerism created
mainly for salespeople, and founded by the Dale Carnegie types of
institutes.  This mannerism encourages
people to overuse the names of people while addressing them, ("Yes,
Charles... you know, Charles... etc.)
The purposes are twofold:  (1) to remember the person's name and (2)
to create a feeling of friendliness.
I recall Dan Quayle also using this mannerism, and you encounter it a
lot with car salespersons,  telephone
solicitors, politicians soliciting votes and the like.  College
Professors rarely go through Dale Carnegie.  After you hear it a lot
in certain
contexts, it begins to smack of insincerity, despite this it is
encountered frequently.

	I don't know of this deliberate mannerism in any other language or
culture.

George Kalbouss
Assoc Prof. (Emeritus)
Slavic Languages