Question about usage of names and social convention

Nola oothappam at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Apr 29 23:20:20 UTC 2009

The book is:
"Russian Stage One, Live From Russia" , second edition, by Maria D. Lekic, Dan E. Davidson and Kira S. Gor

The quote is from Unit 3, page 215.

Nola
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Svetlana Grenier
  To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
  Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:09 PM
  Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Question about usage of names and social convention

  Sarah Hurst wrote:

  >Very true! I and other people I know who have encountered this all say they
  >find it rude rather than friendly. At my local Wells Fargo we are supposed
  >to give the cashier a marble in their jar as a reward every time they say
  >our names. I can't stand salespeople who don't know me using my name. Why
  >haven't they cottoned on yet that this is obnoxious?

  Do you mean calling you by first name (which it usually is with
  salespeople)?  Extremely obnoxious!  I wonder, if they called one by
  Mr/Mrs and last name, would that make things better? I can't remember a
  case of that though.

  Nola wrote:

  >>A book I am using says: "Unlike in English, it is customary in
  >>Russian to address an interlocutor by name on a regular basis in
  >>normal or formal conversation."

  This phrasing suggests the book is referring to repeating the
  interlocutor's name when addressing him/her, but my unscientific
  observation (to quote one of the previous posts)  is that the book just
  made it up!  What book is it, anyway?

  Best,
  Svetlana

  --