English vs. Russian: greeting strangers (and names somewhat)

Dustin Hosseini dustin.hosseini at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 30 05:15:08 UTC 2009

Just to add my thoughts on this, since I teach EFL/ESL in Moscow...

First of of all, English speaking cultures are generally far more informal
than Russian culture is, especially when it comes to addressing strangers.
It's more 'accepted' for a stranger to ask the time, for directions, or just
to strike up a conversation.  Generally, people are less likely to say that
they 'aren't from around here'.

Conversely, one smoker in Moscow can walk up to another smoker and ask for a
cigarette, and it's generally accepted.  I don't remember that being
accepted in the US unless you were in a bar or cafe.

When it comes to the service industry (cafes, restaurants, etc) Russia, or
at least Moscow, is becoming more and more 'open', and maybe to some extent
more like what you'd find in the U.S....especially in franchises that are
American based or that started in the U.S.

One good example: Starbucks.  I worked for about 2 years there in the US
when I was a student.  We always greeted people, but only greeted those
customers by first name who were regulars.  When people came in often
enough, they initiated contact and got acquainted with those behind the
counter.  Sometimes it was the other way around.

A few years later, some person had 'a great idea' at Starbucks: this was to
label the drinks according to the customer's name.

Personally, I disagreed with that move and still do.  Some of the Starbucks
here in Moscow due use that technique.  The obvious advantage: to separate
the orders by name so that they are not mixed up if two or more customers
order say a grande mocha latte without whip.  But, some customers would
rather remain anonymous...

Another example: Euroset (the mobile phone store chain).  I noticed all
workers at Eurosets here in Moscow started to greet customers upon entrance
by calling out "Zdrastvuite" and this is echoed by other workers in the
store; in effect, they aren't greeting anyone but themselves, because
customers rarely if ever greet them back.  It's quite humorous, but I'm sure
it will change how some people think and those people might start greeting
other strangers, even if it's against cultural norms.

Things change.

Dustin