Russian majors in small programs

Elaine Rusinko rusinko at UMBC.EDU
Thu Apr 30 15:43:46 UTC 2009

I would like to tap into the accumulated wisdom and experience of this
group, if I may. Our Russian program at the University of Maryland,
Baltimore County has recently been challenged by the cost-conscious
administration. We regularly have approximately 45 students in RUSS 101
(we have a three-semester language requirement). But by the time the
students reach the advanced level, we are down to four or five, and we
graduate approximately 3-5 Russian majors per year. This results in a
tenured faculty member or a part-time native speaker teaching a course
of 4-5 students at the 400-level, which the administration does not
consider cost-effective. We have been asked to propose changes to our
program -- either dispense with the Russian major or figure out a way to
offer the major through creative adjustments.

We already teach our literature and culture courses in English. These
courses satisfy general education culture and writing-intensive
requirements and serve the general university population. Our Russian
majors take 1-credit supplements in Russian, which the tenured faculty
teach as overloads. Almost all of our students start with RUSS 101, so
the real problem is how to cover four years of Russian language in a way
that is cost effective. Collapsing courses? Requiring study abroad?
Changing the focus of the major? Other ideas?

I would like to hear from those of you in small programs who may have
dealt with this problem. If you have suggestions for creative program
adaptations, please contact me.

Thanks.

--
Elaine Rusinko