English vs. Russian: greeting strangers (and names somewhat)

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Thu Apr 30 17:57:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:27:23 -0800
  Sarah Hurst <sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET> wrote:
> I've just been to France and I noticed in shops and autoroute toll
>booths,
> after the transaction staff frequently say "bon journee". Is this
> traditional or a translation of "have a nice day"?

It's traditional and it means "Have a nice day."
"Bonjour," which emphasizes the day, is a greeting, and "bonne
journée," which emphasizes what goes on during that day, is a parting
wish.
That said, it's not perfectly absolute.
"Bonjour" can be used as the parting wish; but "bonne journée" is more
common, and that can NOT be used to say hello, only as a parting
comment.
Then there's "quelle belle journée!" "what a gorgeous day!" which may
be said during a conversation or exchange.

The other thing I was always taught is that it's better to use
"bonjour" WITH adding "Messieurs-dames" (collective) or a specific
name. If you truncate, it's to the name rather than to just "bonjour."
That's how "Messieurs-dames" and "Monsieur" or "Madame" came to be
used as a greeting.
Details ...
-FR

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor