Pelevin Question

Krystyna Steiger steiger at ROGERS.COM
Tue Dec 1 04:41:28 UTC 2009

Hi Marcus,
I'm not sure about "The Life of Insects" but many years ago when I first
read Pelevin's novel 'Chapaev i Pustota' in translation I noticed there were
a few segments left out; I think they were limited to parts of the novel
involving Silver Age poets, such as Blok and Briusov, which would've been
irrelevant to an English-speaking readership not educated in that particular
period of Russian literature for obvious reasons, I guess.  I've always been
curious, though, as to who decided to leave the passages out -- the
translator Bromfield (whose work I admire) or Pelevin himself. Might be a
good question for discussion?
Hope I was of some help,
Krystyna
----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcus Levitt" <levitt at COLLEGE.USC.EDU>
To: <SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 4:02 PM
Subject: [SEELANGS] Pelevin Question

I am teaching "The Life of Insects" (trans. A Bromfield) and notice that the
ending (as well as a few other places in the text) are not the same as in
the on-line versions of "Zhizn' nasekomykh" that I have found (e.g.,
http://lib.rus.ec/b/42105/read#t1 ( http://lib.rus.ec/b/42105/read#t1 )).
What's up here?

Thanks, Marcus

Marcus Levitt, Associate Professor
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
University of Southern California College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
Los Angeles, CA 90089-4353
Fax (213) 740-8550
Tel  (213) 740-2736
Personal Web Page: http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~levitt/