Duels in Slavic Literature

David Goldfarb davidagoldfarb at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 3 15:49:30 UTC 2009

Another famous Polish example is the duel between Wokulski and
Krzeszowski in Bolesław Prus' novel, _Lalka_ (The Doll), the chapter
entitled "Wielkopańskie zabawy" (translated as "Gentlefolk at Play"
ch. 13 in the current CEU Press edition by David Welsh, and vol. I,
ch. 13 in the 2-volume Biblioteka Narodowa edition. I'm not sure
offhand where it falls precisely in the 4-volume editions, but the
sequence and title should be the same).  Wokulski is a merchant of the
rising middle class and Krzeszowski is a baron of the declining
gentry, and the whole scene manifests something of the awkward
anachronism of the duel between Bazarov and Pavel from _Fathers and
Sons_.

--
David A. Goldfarb
http://www.davidagoldfarb.com