On-campus initiatives and Russian proficiency

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Thu Dec 10 01:13:37 UTC 2009

At GW oral proficiency rose measurably in the 1990s when we started testing
students regularly. All students in basic Russian courses (the first 240
clasrrom contact hours - first four semesters) are mini-OPI'd every 10-11
class days.

-Rich Robin

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Elizabeth Skomp <elizabethskomp at hotmail.com
> wrote:

> Dear SEELANGers,
>

> I’d be grateful for any information you could share about
> successful on-campus initiatives that you have developed (or in which you
> have
> participated) that are oriented toward increasing students’ Russian
> language
> proficiency and cost under $10,000 a year.   The development office at our
> institution has
> asked us to devise a list of possibilities for a donor who wishes to make a
> recurring gift to our Russian program. (Study abroad and internships belong
> to a
> different part of the proposal, hence the limitation of my request to
> on-campus
> programs).
>

> If you would be willing to share your experiences, please
> e-mail me *off-list* at eskomp at sewanee.edu.
>

> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Elizabeth Skomp
>

> --