Chekhov's "A Marriage Proposal"

Andrey Shcherbenok shcherbenok at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 15 04:57:08 UTC 2009

Petr Mamonov has an unforgettable absurdist performance Est li zhizn na
Marse? based on this Chekhov's play. It was released on DVD and you can
easily find it online. If your students have at least rudimentary knowledge
of Russian, screening a part of this performance might be an exciting way to
approach the play.

Best wishes,
Andrey

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of annac at UALBERTA.CA
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:41 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Chekhov's "A Marriage Proposal"

Dear All,
This January I will be teaching Chekhov's "A Marriage Proposal" to
first year students who have very little knowledge of Russian
literature, and the class is not a Russian literature class either.

I was wondering if anyone has tackled this play in first year classes
and would anyone be willing to share his or her approach with me. As
my classes are all interactive, I am most interested in approaches
that include group work and special projects on Chekhov's piece.
Anna