Gogol's Taras Bulba: English translation?

Edyta Bojanowska bojanows at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU
Tue Dec 15 19:44:26 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues,

 I am looking for an English translation of Gogol's "Taras Bulba" that I
could assign for my undergraduate course.  I was wondering if there are
alternatives to the Garnett/Kent translation from "Complete Tales of
Nikolai Gogol."  The new Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of Gogol's
tales does not include "Taras Bulba." What translation do people usually
use?

 The separate editions I've found online do not come from the presses I
recognize and they do not mention the translator. These are:

1)      The Dodo Press edition, based in the UK (ISBN 1406588814).
Introduction by John Cournos

2)      The Subculture Press edition (ISBN 0979919495).  Introduction by
Eugene Hutz, the lead singer of the Gypsy punk rock band, Gogol Bordello
(I'm intrigued but also anxious)

3)      The Bibliolife edition (very expensive)

I can be reached off-list at bojanows at rci.rutgers.edu.  Thank you in
advance for your help.

Edyta Bojanowska

--