What is "prosaic ethos"?

Devin Browne dpbrowne at MAC.COM
Tue Dec 22 18:46:52 UTC 2009

Greetings all -- A quick question that might result in not-so-quick
answers.  A high school English literature teacher with whom I work does
Chekhov's *Cherry Orchard* each year.  One of her students, while doing some
research, came across the expression "prosaic ethos" several times.  He
brought it to his teacher and me and neither of us are familiar with the
term.  Can anyone out there give me an 11th grade explanation of this?

Many thanks in advance!

Devin