At the Grave of Joseph Brodsky

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Wed Feb 4 00:17:14 UTC 2009

 From the poem as a whole, it seems to me that much of it it is about
the ephemeral and about variability and the search for substance. For
Motion, Brodsky was one of those "alive" "voracious" people who
provided reality in a changing "rootless" world, and yet Brodsky's own
fate and life were elusive.
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/article529206.ece

Hence the undisputed stone.
The stone represents Brodsky's final, substantive reality -- one that
cannot be disputed and was reached only in his death. Just mho.

That said, I have no useful translation to provide
(maybe the stone should be "neobkhodimaia/oe" -- not a great solution)

I think KK's translation is beautiful.
I'm not sure "surovyj" gets the full import of the "tense" in "tense
lagoon" though, and if this is a reference to Venice, is there a word
for lagoon that is more specific to Venice than "proliv".. ?

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies
Coordinator, German and Russian
Wheaton College