At the grave of J. Brodsky

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Wed Feb 4 09:55:03 UTC 2009

Dear Vadim,

If you look at the videoclip produced by Svetlana Surganova (St
Petersburg song writer and performer), you'll see Brodsky's grave and
the cemetery itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CUOJFwa4O4
It shows the sign directing to Brodsky's grave. There is a name that
says Joseph Brodsky. It's hand-written and is located next to the sign
that says "Ezra Pound".
The grave itself looks strikingly different from other graves because
of the growing ivy and flowers, a bowl with messages, a bottle of
vodka, etc.
I would imagine that Morton's use of the word "undisputed" here might
evoke the title of the album of the psychedelic soul music produced in
the 1971 -- "The Undisputed Truth".
But the link with Pound is very important, especially in relation to
the theme of arguments that you would like to uncover. Brodsky wrote
on Ezra Pound and translated him into Russian. I'm sure that Morton
was aware of a "quarrel" regarding the authorities' decision to bury
Brodsky next to Ezra Pound. It is described in Ludmila Shtern's book
(Joseph Bridsky. a Personal Memoir by Ludmila Shtern, 2004, pp.
371-72). Shtern suggests that the authorities didn't allow Brodsky's
family to bury Brodsky in the Russian part of the family next to
famous Russian exiles such as Diagilev and Stravinsky because he was
not baptised as Russian Orthodox. Some parts of the book including the
description of the grave are accessible through the site called
Google.scholar.

I do like Konstantin Kustanovich's 's translation. It's very precise.
In my own rendering I've tried to put more emphasis on memory:

"Kak tol'ko ia okazyvaius'
Riadom s Tvoim nadgrob'em,
Ia myslenno vsegda perenoshus'
V Venetsiiu, gde dvadsat' let nazad...." etc.

To my mind, the most important message of the poem is related to the
notion of simultaneity that highlights the importance of personal
memories.

With best wishes,
Alexandra

-------------------------------------
Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Reader in Russian
Department of European Languages and Cultures
School of  Languages, Literatures and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
UK

tel. +44-(0)131-6511381
fax: +44- (0)131- 650-3604
e-mail: Alexandra.Smith at ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.