Why no Cyrillic?

Susan Bauckus sbauckus at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Feb 4 22:43:05 UTC 2009

thanks for this useful information even if it is a broken record.

I'm not sure I follow the logic of your analogy completely: isn't it usually harder for students to write in transliteration than in cyrillic? and why would we think of allowing it under any circumstances? Transliteration does have its place, though, since anyone who writes papers is required to use it in their bibliographies and in-text references. And Russians use it sometimes in emails as well. I would argue that in some settings translation is indeed a part of literacy.

If even your Cyrillic text comes through as gibberish(note your message below)the problem is clearly on my end, and I'll figure it out eventually, unless Earthlink sabotages me.

Susie