Homeschooling Russian

Rozov, Mr. Aleksander ar14433n at PACE.EDU
Sun Feb 8 21:16:42 UTC 2009

I do not feel like creating a long discussion about the "methodology," because it seems that the given argument is based on conflict of interests. But few things I will mention for the sake of  "ликбез."
My advise is based upon experience, which have proven to be a great success with kids and adults. If a book is used as a complementary tool then it will prove to be quite useful. Learning is a natural process. Infants do not learn how to speak by using a book, but rather through live interraction and complementary tools, like games. And this way of learning is the most efficient way. As the purpose of any language is to interract, it should come to no surprise that learner needs a native instrurctor, who will guide to through the language and produce great results, which contrary to the given response are not time consuming (although, lessons have to be consistent) and pleasant. A good instructor will surely make the lesson engaging. As for Berlitz method, Berlitz offers various programs of varying work load, based upon the time that student has to learn a language. Additionally, in colloboration with "Sesamy Street" Berlitz offers fun filled program for the children. Based !
 on my teaching experience I have designed a program, which as I already mentioned "encompasses Berlitz method, along with grammar, and other elements essential for language acquisition."
So, Mr. Langran, perhaps it would be best if you stop soliciting your language program on this network, intended for interraction between professionals and anyone with questions pertaining to the language. I take pride in what I do, and certainly do not appreciate being undermined by a businessman, interested in pushing his program.

Sincerely,
AR

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of John Langran [john at RUSLAN.CO.UK]
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 2:29 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Homeschooling Russian

I an amazed to see such advice being given. Learners of all ages need
references to rely on, so that they can prepare work, look things up,
practise and learn, between visits from their teacher. The "Berlitz method"
as I understand it is intended for intensive tuition for blocks of time up
to 5 or more hours per day, usually for adult business people, and quite
impractical for a 9 year old who has a full programme of other school work,
as I presume to be the case here. Unless I am wrong and this boy does have
large amounts of time for studying Russian, then he needs a course book that
he likes and which will stimulate his imagination, with workbooks for extra
exercises, computer support and audio / dvd support if possible, and a
sympathetic tutor who knows how to use such materials effectively to give
lessons perhaps on a weekly basis to review work that has been done
independently, practice new material, and set new work to be done for the
next lesson.

One reason that teachers sometimes advocate "methods" such as the "Berlitz
method" is that with these "methods" the student needs a lot more teacher
hours than if he has a programme with properly structured supporting course
materials.

John Langran
www.ruslan.co.uk