contemporary naval jargon

Kirsty McCluskey kirsty.mccluskey at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 14 00:38:56 UTC 2009

Dear Jane

In addition to Valery's links, my father (who worked with submariners for
forty years) sent me a few links that might be useful to your student in
terms of choosing the right English term once the Russian meaning has been
elucidated.  These are primarily Royal Navy so may not apply, but at the
very least they make for an interesting read!

http://submariners.co.uk/Dits/Jackspeak/index.php#A

http://www.jackspeak.com/

http://www.hazegray.org/faq/slang1.htm

Best wishes, Kirsty McCluskey

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Jane Costlow <jcostlow at bates.edu> wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
>   A student of mine is working on a translation of stories by a
> contemporary author whose work is primarily about life in the Russian navy
> (submarine corps).  He's handling the naval terminology and ranks fairly
> well, but the obscenities are a REAL challenge.  Do you have any suggestions
> on pertinent reference works or other sources that might help?  (Googling
> some of these terms is not something I want to do with a student by my
> side!)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jane Costlow

>                   http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

http://kirstyjane.wordpress.com

Vulpes Libris
A collective of bibliophiles writing about books
http://vulpeslibris.wordpress.com