Tolstoi & Thoreau

June Farris jpf3 at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Jan 2 15:52:29 UTC 2009

jpf3 at uchicago.edu
1-773-702-6623 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Katz, Michael
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:13 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] query

Dear colleagues:

A happy new year to all.

A student of mine (who does not read Russian) has asked me to post the following inquiry:

"How did American Transcendental philosophy (especially Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau) influence the writings of Leo Tolstoy?
I want to understand what gave birth to American Transcendentalism and how those ideas were adopted and modified by Tolstoy."

Please forward any suggestions to me.

Thanks very much.

Michael Katz
Middlebury College